Monday, May 6, 2019

Eype's!


South-west Regional Medal final

Many thanks to everyone for the encouraging messages for the Bridport competition.

The course is a cliff top one, very open with some criss-crossing fairways, all in lovely condition  and the views were magnificent! 

3rd tee with amazing views
The wind was strong for our practice round and a bit chilly but all in all we were very lucky.

Judy and I made notes to help with the competition itself and it was really useful to do so. 

The amazing 6th!

 The 6th hole is their signature hole, and it is incredible! It is 122 yds 'long' with a huge drop down to the green!

We had met a local lady the first afternoon who had offered us some advice - first that the greens were true (which they were) and secondly, to play the 6th according to its length... she talked about the club she used too. So during the practice round we had the chance to test it out!

On competition day we played alongside Sally (from Mullion) and Jane Watts from Trevose - Jane I remembered from our League matches and Sally and her caddie Liz we knew from our many forays to Mullion - they were very good company.

The wind was less strong but it felt chillier however the notes we'd made came in very handy!

The competition round started well; I played to my handicap till the 10th hole when the wheels fell off for two holes!  Two 8's rather scuppered the card and I posted a nett 81 (three more than the practice round).

When everyone was finished (84 played) the CSS for the day went up to 75! One player came in with a nett 71 and she was way ahead of everyone. The next best score was a 74. There were lots of similar scores and then there were 7 of us with a nett 81...  with countback I was in 23rd position.

I must admit to being a bit disappointed at the end of the round because I had messed up a couple of holes that I had parred on the practice round; but on reflection I was content that we'd given it our best shot.

Judy and I stayed in a lovely place called Epye's Mouth Hotel and we can recommend it - I'm sure we have a few extra inches round the waist now!

Many thanks to Judy for addying and for keeping me on the straight and narrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment